Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Eat more Chicken

As a small business owner my social obligations are limited. I am responsible for providing a work environment that is conducive to growth. This ensures my employees can financially support their families and that I earn enough after taxes to give my family the means to live comfortably. Beyond that, my opinions on who utilizes my services are open for public support or disdain depending on the positions I espouse. Any consumer can make the choice to support my business or look elsewhere for the service we provide. A corporate decision to close on Sunday’s or not cater to a certain population is my choice alone and the ramifications of that decision will yield specific economic results that do not impact anyone except our employees and myself. In light of the Chick-fil-A fiasco it is obvious that being outspoken on hot button issues can and will result in changes to the bottom line. I offer this philosophical position. I choose to spend my money where and when I desire. No outside forces drive me to purchase anything if I do not approve of the seller. My customers are entitled to the same privilege. Therefore I have the right to offer any opinion I choose on any topic and the buying populace will make their choice. The management team members at Chick-fil-A have the right to make any statement or corporate decision they choose and I have the right to spend my money elsewhere if I disagree. Our liberal media has advocated for an alternative position by lobbying legislative support that would negatively impact this organization’s ability to conduct business. This creates a negative environment for everyone. To extrapolate this would mean that over time the government, via the push from a particular faction, will be able to dictate what you buy and from whom. In the simplest terms that is un-American and over steps in dramatic fashion all aspects of free enterprise. This furor, raised over a public position taken by a private entity, is unwarranted. Spend your money where you wish. Speak out publicly if that suits you but this is not a topic that should involve any government comment or action. When the state decides you should not purchase a chicken sandwich from a certain vendor they are only short steps away from deciding all aspects of your private life. My position is not as an advocate of the statements made nor is it an indictment of anyone’s personal choice about what they buy. All must follow their individual convictions. Let the consumers dictate the punishment or edification of any corporation’s choice to verbalize controversial opinions. If you don’t appreciate the statements made eat a burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment